Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fat Vampire by Adam Rex

Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex
Publisher:  Balzer & Bray
Publish Date:  July 27, 2010
ISBN:  978-0061920908
Pages:  336


This story started out completely funny and I was interested to see how an overweight, dorky vampire was going to work out.  I mean, c'mon, Doug (the fat vampire) is attending ComicCon - have we heard of a vampire that would be caught dead doing that? (pun intended)   Unfortunately, at about the halfway point, it all fell apart.

A rundown of the characters:
Doug - the fat vampire, he was attacked at his parents summer cabin
Jay - Doug's bff
Cat - girl Jay likes
Sejal - foreign exchange student from India, Doug likes her
The lesbian friend - I think she was just thrown in for diversity's sake, I can't even remember her name.

I felt like Doug was pushed aside so that Sejal could take center stage.  Poor Doug, first he falls for Sejal, then she takes over his story!  The guy can't catch a break.  I think that Sejal and Doug should each have their own books.  There were just so many storylines going on, none of them seemed to quite get finished.

At least the ending brought me back, it was sad and funny and dramatic and crazy.  All at once.  I liked it.


No comments:

Post a Comment