Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker

The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker
Publisher:  Usborne
Publish Date:  February 1, 2012
ISBN:  978-1409536086
Pages:  320


Sherry's family has been in a sealed bunker for over three years due to a weird rabies outbreak.  Her grandfather is being stored in the freezer, her grandma won't stop knitting, her parents fight all the time and they're all starving.

Sherry and her dad finally leave the bunker in search of food.  Once outside, they're astounded by what has happened to their town...or really as far as they can see.  There's no one around...at all.  No signs of life.  They go to the closest store and they're attacked by 'Weepers' - humans changed by the rabies virus.  Sherry escapes with the help of a guy, but her dad is taken.

The story was good, it really was.  I like the premise, I like the action, surprises, flashbacks and countdowns.  The parts that didn't cut it for me:

 - the romance between Sherry and Joshua.  It's stated that Sherry is 15 years old and Joshua seems to be older, but you don't know how old - he comes off as early 20's.  I was a little creeped out by not knowing and also the romance didn't add to the story, I could have done without it. 

 - that Joshua takes Sherry on the hunt for her dad.  Yeah, he doesn't know what the guy looks like, but give him a description!  Sherry was a huge liability and if I were going into a life threatening situation, I wouldn't want to take someone that hadn't proved themselves.

I think that personally I wanted more plot, less romance.  I did like that Sherry reacted as I would expect the average person to - she freaked out!  I also loved that she didn't instantly turn into  bad-ass fighter chick!

While reading the book, I really couldn't help but be reminded of the Will Smith movie "Legend".  Awesome movie, by the way.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment