Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink by Stephanie Kate Strohm

Publisher:  Graphia
Date:  May 8, 2012
ISBN: 978-0547564593
Pages:  208

I received this book for review from www.netgalley.com.


Libby gets a chance to work a summer internship at Maine's oldest living history museum and jumps at it.  Her best friend, Dev, is appalled and wants her to intern with him in New York at Teen Mode (a fashion magazine).

This is not, honestly, the kind of book I generally pick up.  But - it sounded cute and involved history.  I'm so glad I picked it!

Libby is a total fashionista whose also a serious history buff.  She also bakes, crafts, reads and is (wait for it...) SMART.  I love her!  I love that she's real - from her embroidery to her pies to her Hello Kitty panties.

I worked on a historical island one summer in college and Ms. Strohm totally captured the feeling and the way that the workers live.  None of my friends who stayed home believed me when I talked about the falling apart house that we lived in, with the community bathrooms and awful kitchen...or the boys.  Oh yes, there are boys in this story.  There's an obnoxious smarty-pants geeky-shirt wearing local reporter and a pirate hottie whose charming and sweet.  There's also a ghost.

The best friend, Dev, is a riot - I loved him right away.

The story is well-written in a casual style.  The characters are too fun and cute.  It was a quick read, but definitely not just fluff and nonsense!

No comments:

Post a Comment