Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Date:  January 18, 2011
ISBN:  978-031265890
Pages: 352


So Allison Hewitt works at a bookstore, or did until the zombie outbreak happened.  Now she's trapped in a storeroom in the bookstore with some co-workers and customers.  Allison begins blogging and finds that there are little pockets of humanity that have survived.

I went into this book thinking about how much I loved FEED by Mira Grant - it's about zombies and has blog excerpts.  It's unfortunate that the author just couldn't make me care about Allison the way I did about the characters in FEED.  I actually kinda wanted Allison to be eaten by zombies a few times.  She was annoying and her interactions with the other characters seemed stilted.

By the time a character came along that I could cheer for, it was almost the end of the book.  I have to say that I was hoping it would go differently for the character and Allison. 

There really weren't that many zombie interactions, not as many as I would think there would be as they were traveling place to place.  There is one mention of a zombie squirrel, but where were the dogs, cats, etc.?  I would think that they would have run into more issues.

The main issue I had with the story is that Allison doesn't seem like a real person, she seems like a character that is useful only for the telling of the story.  Like it wasn't really happening to her, but she was telling about it.  The story isn't bad, if the relationships were tidied up, the story line would be fine.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by reading some of the best zombie books out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment