Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison

Publisher: HarperTeen
Publish Date: June 28, 2011
ISBN: 978-0061799310
Pages: 288
Jacket Design: Becky Terhune

Book One of a series: The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey


Tallulah Casey is a 14 year old girl who signed up for a performing arts program at a college to get out of eating butterfly sandwiches while camping with her brother.  Really.  She is incredibly excited about being away from her family, with the theatre crowd and of course - the boys!!!


Imagine her surprise when the program is an all-girls school!  Poor thing.  BUT, there is an all-boys school just across the way, so all is not lost.  I loved Lullah and her mates, especially young Ruby, they quite acted their age and talked about things I talked about at that age.  Things like boys, kissing, getting boobs, being too tall/too short, why doesn't he like me???, grades - it was nice for a change!

This is a perfect book for the 12 - 14 year old group.  It's clean and funny.  The British slang used is hilarious and generally easy to figure out using context clues.  But if you get stuck, Lullah has cheerfully provided a glossary of terms in the back.  You should just go ahead and read them, they're as funny as the book.

This is a delightful start to a series, I look forward to reading more of them.  Now I think my niece is going to need them. :)

2 comments:

  1. I keep seeing this in the store and I have to say I adore the title. Very fun. I'm glad that the book is worth the read, too. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fun and light read! Great review!

    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete