Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Iron Thorn - Caitlin Kittredge

Publisher:  Delacourte Books
Publish Date:  Feb. 22, 2011
ISBN:  978-0385738293
Pages:  512
Jacket Design: Trish Parcell
Cover Art:  Lara Jade
Illustrations:  Robert Lazzaretti


I really like Steampunk, but it took me a little bit to get into The Iron Thorn.  However, once I got into it, I LOVED it!!

Aoife is a ward of the state and studies engineering - the only girl in engineering at her school.  Her mother is in an insane asylum, her brother has disappeared and she's never met her father.  Everyone in her family, at 16yo, starts going mad.  Aoife is months away from her 16th birthday and is freaked out.

When Aoife receives a message from Conrad (her brother) that simply says "HELP", she doesn't question it, she prepares to leave.  A second message gives her a riddle and she collects her best friend, Cal, and sets off for her father's house.

Aoife makes mistakes, accepts them and keeps going.  She's not one to turn her back on friends or family in need.  She learns along the way that her society is built on many lies and deceitful acts.

My favorite line: "Stories usually start true, Miss Aoife", Dean said.  "A touch of truth makes a lie worth believing."

The characters are well thought out and I found myself caring for all of them - a rarity.  The book ends on a disastrous note, so I can't wait for the second book:  THE NIGHTMARE GARDEN, coming out 2/14/2012.  It's available for pre-order at Amazon right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment