Thursday, June 23, 2011

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
Publisher:  Grand Central Publishing
Publish Date:  April 19, 2011
ISBN:  978-0446563079
Pages:  352
Cover Art:  supplied by Grand Central Publishing



I picked up this book as I've always been fascinated by Abraham Lincoln.  He was a poor farm boy and 'pulled himself up by his bootstraps' to become President of the U.S.A.  Pretty impressive, eh?  Well, this book brings to light even more impressive feats by President Lincoln.

While we applaud President Lincoln for freeing the slaves and saving the Union; his other side, the Vampire Hunter, was hidden.  That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith got his hands on Abe's secret diaries.

The beginning of the story was a bit rough, I found myself skipping through a bit, hoping that the rest of the story was good.  I'm happy to report that it is!  The story is fast paced with great dialog and fascinating tidbits about Abe's life - both real and fictional.  The fictional bits flow seamlessly and you can see where the story is believable.  I think this story worked well as it wasn't trying to shove vampires and vampire hunting into a pre-written story.  Instead the author wrote a biography of Abe's life, adding the vampire hunting in as it went.  It definitely worked!  As you read excerpts of speeches you can see where he could be speaking of the threat of vampires to the U.S.  The extra photographic evidence in the book adds to the story and is amazing.  Poor Abraham, no wonder he seemed like such a driven man.  The ending was quite a surprise and I'm not sure I liked it, although it was a bit amusing.  If you go into it looking for a fun read, you'll love it.  Can I say that the cover slayed me?hahahahaha

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this review. I keep picking this book up at the book store and debating whether or not I should buy it. This has convinced me to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Let me know what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete